Characterization of the Curing Agents Used in Epoxy Resins with TG/FT-IR Technique
Burel, Fabrice; Dutra, Rita C. L.; Pardini, Luiz C.; Lourenço, Vera L.; Azevedo, Margarete F. P.; Diniz, Milton Faria; Romão, Benedita M. V.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-14282006000200007 Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, vol.16, n2, p.94-98, 2006
Samples of epoxy resin (EP) based on the diglycidyl ether of bisphenol A (DGEBA), cured with nadic methyl anhydride (NMA) and mercaptan (CAPCURE 3-800), or amine-phenol (CAPCURE EH-30), respectively, SE 4 and SE 5, were prepared in the stoichiometric ratio determined by the supplier. The curing behaviour of the epoxy systems SE 4 and SE 5 was followed by DSC (Differential Scanning Calorimetry). These SE and their ingredients were analyzed using FT-IR transmission techniques (KBr pellets, pyrolysis without control and controlled pyrolysis-FT-IR, the CONTROLPIR/ FT-IR) for characterizing the curing agents (CA). The temperature range used for samples pyrolysis was found from TG (thermogravimetry). Thus, the FT-IR bands of liquid pyrolysate obtained by CONTROLPIR/FT-IR were evaluated, in comparison to the reference spectrum of CA. The characterization of CA was also possible, by the analysis of such SE with the TG/FT-IR technique.
Epoxy resins, curing agents, TG/FT-IR technique, controlled pyrolysis-FT-IR
1. Romão, B. M. V.; Dutra, R. C. L.; Diniz, M. F. & Ribeiro A. P. - Pesquisa Naval 14; p.273 (2001).
2. Sciamareli, J.; Holanda, J. A. S.; Dutra, R. C. L.; Lourenço, V. L. & Iha, K. - Anais Assoc. Bras. Quim. 51, 3;83 (2002).
3. Jiawu, G. K. & Mong, G. Z. - Termochimica Acta 352:153 (2000).
4. Sugita, T. & Ito M. - Bull Chem Soc Japan 38,10:1620, (1965).
5. Herrera, M.; Matuschek, G. & Kettrup, A. - Thermochim. Acta 361:69 (2000).
6. May, C. A.; Hadad, D. K. & Browning, C. E. - Polym. Eng. Sci. 19, 8:545 (1979).
7. Varley, R. J.; Hawthorne, D. G.; Hodghin, J. H. & Simon, G. P. - Polymer 36, 7:1347 (1995).
8. Romão, B. M. V.; Dutra, R. C. L.; Diniz, M. F.; Azevedo, M. F. P.; Lourenço, V. L.; Pardini, L. C. & Burel, F. - Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, 13, p.173-180 (2003).
9. Urbanski, J.; Czerwinski, W.; Janicka, K.; Majewska, F. & Zowall, H. - Handbook of analysis of synthetic polymers and plastics, John Wiley, New York (1977).
10. Smith, A. L. - Applied Infrared Spectroscopy. John Wiley, New York (1979).
11. Dyakonov, T.; Patrick, J.; Mann, Y.; Chen, & Stevenson, W. T. K. - Polymer Degradation and Stability 54:67 (1996).
12. Reggers, G.; Ruysen, M.; Carleer, R. & Mullens J. - Thermochim. Acta 295:107 (1997).