Development of Polymer Resins using Neural Networks
http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-14282002000300008 Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, vol.12, n3, p.164-170, 2002
The development of polymer resins can benefit from the application of neural networks, using its great ability to correlate inputs and outputs. In this work we have developed a procedure that uses neural networks to correlate the end-user properties of a polymer with the polymerization reactor’s operational condition that will produce that desired polymer. This procedure is aimed at speeding up the development of new resins and help finding the appropriate operational conditions to produce a given polymer resin; reducing experimentation, pilot plant tests and therefore time and money spent on development. The procedure shown in this paper can predict the reactor’s operational condition with an error lower than 5%.
Neural networks, polymers, polymerization reactor, simulation
1. Askadskii, A. A. - Chemical Yearbook IV. Eds. R.A.Pethrick & G.E. Zaikov. Harwood Acad. Publ., London (1987).
2. Bicerano, J. - Computational Modeling of Polymers. Marcel Dekker, New York (1992).
3. Brule, D.; Iffly, J. M. & Le, J. - Process and device for the gas phase polymerization of alpha-olefins. US.Patent 5241023 (1993).
4. Fernandes, F. A. N. & Lona, L. M. F. - Fluidized bed reactor and physical-chemical properties modeling for polyethylene production. Computers and Chemical Engineering, 23, S803-S806 (1999).
5. Fernandes, F.A.N. & Lona, L.M.F. - Heterogeneous modeling for fluidized bed polymerization reactor. Chemical Engineering Science, 56, 963-969 (2001).
6. Goeke, G. L.; Wagner, B. E. & Karol, F. J. - Process for the preparation of high density ethylene polymers in fluid bed reactor. US.Patent 4383095 (1983).
7. Hatzantonis, H., Yiannoulakis, H., Yiagopoulos, A. & Kiparissides, C. - Recent developments in modeling gas-phase catalyzed olefin polymerization fluidized-bed reactors: The effect of bubble size variation on the reactor's performance. Chemical Engineering Science, 55, 3237-3259 (2000).
8. Jenkins III, J. M.; Jones, R. L. & Jones, T. M. - Fluidized bed reaction systems. US.Patent 4543399 (1985).
9. McAuley, K. B., MacGregor, J. F. & Hamielec, A.E. - A kinetic model for industrial gas-phase ethylene copolymerization. AIChE Journal, 36, 837-850 (1990).
10. McAuley, K. B., Talbot, J. P. & Harris, T. J. - A comparison of two-phase and well-mixed models for fluidized-bed polyethylene reactors. Chemical Engineering Science, 49, 2035-2045 (1994).
11. Nascimento, C. A. O.; Giudici, R. & Guardani, R. Neural network based approach for optimization of industrial chemical processes. Computers and Chemical Engineering, 24, 2303-2314 (2000).
12. Porter, D. - Interaction Modelling of Polymer Properties. Marcel Dekker, New York (1995).
13. Van Krevelen, D.W. - Properties of Polymers. Elsevier, New York (1990).
14. Zhang, J.; Martin, E. B.; Morris, A. J. & Kiparissides, C. - Inferential estimation of polymer quality using stacked neural networks. Computers and Chemical Engineering, 21, S1025-S1030 (1997).
15. Zabisky, R. C. M.; Chan, W. M.; Gloor, P. E. & Hamielec, A. E. - A kinetic model for olefin polymerization in high-pressure tubular reactors: a review and update. Polymer, 33, 2243-2262 (1992).