Kinetic and Sensitivity Approach to the Mechanism of Inhibited Polymerization of Vinyl Acetate in the Presence of Furan Compounds
http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-14281997000400005 Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, vol.7, n4, p.22-26, 1997
The inhibited radical polymerization of vinyl acetate initiated by 2,2-azobisisobutyronitrile was studied in the presence of some furan derivatives bearing a double bond on the side group. The modelling of such systems has permitted to estimate the values of the kinetic parameters for these inhibitors. A sensitivity analysis was performed to obtain a better insight into the mechanism; it appears that macroradical degradative transfer reaction to furan compounds is the most important reaction in comparison with propagation or primary radical degradative transfer.
Modelling, sensitivity analysis, inhibited polymerization, furan derivatives
1. Kice, J. L. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 76, 6274, (1954)
2. Atkinson, W.H., Bamford, C. H., and Eastmond, G. C. Trans. Faraday Soc. 66, 1446,(1970).
3. Deb, P.C. Eur. Polym. J.16, 759, (1980).
4. Tudös, F., Foldes-Berezsnich, T., Prog. Polym. Sci. 14, 717, (1989).
5. Rieumont, J., Davidenko, N., and Paz, J.A., Acta Polym. 38, 21, (1987).
6. Rieumont, J., Vega, R. Davidenko, N., and Paz, J.A., Eur. Polym J. 24, 909, (1988).
7. Rieumont, J., Vega, R. Makromol. Chem. 192, 1387, (1991).
8. Vega, R., Rieumont, J. "Kinetic and structural features of the furan compunds as inhibitors of the radical polymerization of vinyl acetate" To be published.
9. Paz, J.A., Rieumont, J., Polymer , 36, (12), 2421, (1995).
10. Ponomarieb, A.A., "Synthesis and reactions of furan compounds." Saratov University Press. Russia. (1960).
11. Come, G. N. "Modern Methods in Kinetics; Comprehensive Chemical Kinetics" (Eds C.H. Bamford and C.F.M. Tipper), Elsevier, Amsterdam, Vol 24/3, p.249, (1983).
12. Gear, C. W. Proc. IFIP Congress, Edinburgh (ed. A. J. H. Morrell), p 187, (1968).
13. Hill, D. J. T., O'Donnell, J.H. O' Sullivan, P.W., Makromol. 18, 9, (1985).
14. Ito, K, Omi, M., Ito, T., Polym. J. 14 (2), 115, (1962).
15. Conix, A. Smets, G., J. Polym. Sc. 10, 525, (1953).